Substance abuse and trauma often go hand in hand, and this connection is an important aspect that addiction treatment centers must consider when providing care for their patients. Evoke Wellness, a Massachusetts-based addiction treatment center, recognizes trauma’s impact on substance abuse and offers comprehensive care to address both issues.
At Evoke Wellness, patients receive personalized care that addresses both substance abuse and trauma. The center offers detox and residential programs at all four of its locations, with a focus on abstinence-based treatment. Evoke Wellness recognizes that trauma can be a significant barrier to recovery and provides evidence-based therapies to help patients process and heal from their experiences. Call us today at 866.931.6429 to learn more about our veterans addiction treatment program.
What Is the Link Between Substance Abuse and Trauma?
Trauma can come in many forms, including physical and emotional abuse, sexual assault, combat exposure, natural disasters, and accidents. When individuals experience trauma, they may turn to drugs or alcohol to cope with the emotional pain and distress. Unfortunately, substance abuse can lead to addiction, exacerbating the underlying trauma and making it even more challenging to manage.
Veterans and Addiction: The Benefits of Treatment
How are veterans and addiction often linked? Veterans are a group that is particularly vulnerable to the connection between substance abuse and trauma. Many veterans seeking substance abuse treatment also have PTSD or another trauma-related disorder. Veterans may turn to drugs or alcohol to numb the symptoms of PTSD, but this can quickly lead to addiction.
The benefits of substance abuse and trauma treatment for veterans can be numerous and life-changing. Here are some of the critical benefits that veterans can experience through seeking treatment:
- Improved mental health — Veterans who have experienced trauma and struggle with substance abuse often deal with mental health issues, including PTSD, depression, and anxiety. Treatment can help address these underlying issues and provide tools and coping strategies to manage symptoms.
- Increased social support — Isolation and loneliness are common among veterans who have experienced trauma and struggle with substance abuse. Treatment can provide a supportive community of peers who understand the challenges of recovery and can offer support and encouragement.
- Reduced risk of relapse — Substance abuse and trauma can be deeply intertwined, and the risk of relapse is high without addressing the underlying trauma. Treatment that addresses both issues can help reduce the risk of relapse and provide long-term support for sustained recovery.
- Improved relationships — Substance abuse and trauma can take a toll on relationships with loved ones. Treatment can help veterans rebuild these relationships and improve communication and trust.
- Increased self-esteem and confidence — Substance abuse and trauma can erode self-esteem and confidence. Treatment can help veterans rebuild a sense of self-worth and confidence in managing their addiction and trauma.
- Improved physical health — Substance abuse can adversely affect physical health, including an increased risk of chronic diseases such as liver disease, heart disease, and cancer. Treatment can help veterans address these physical health issues and improve their well-being.
Treatment for substance abuse and trauma can be a life-changing experience for veterans. It can help them address the underlying issues that contribute to addiction, improve their mental and physical health, and provide a supportive community of peers who understand the challenges of recovery.
Treating Substance Abuse and Trauma at Evoke Wellness
So how can you treat both substance abuse and trauma? Therapies offered at Evoke Wellness may vary by location, but all centers provide a range of evidence-based treatments to address trauma and addiction. These may include cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT), eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR), dialectical behavior therapy (DBT), and trauma-focused therapies such as Seeking Safety.
At Evoke Wellness, we also emphasize the importance of alum support, recognizing that recovery is a lifelong journey. The center provides ongoing support to help patients maintain their sobriety and build a community of peers who understand the challenges of addiction and trauma.
In addition to our focus on trauma and addiction treatment, Evoke Wellness is committed to providing our patients with a supportive and positive environment. The center’s amenities are state-of-the-art, and our staff members are dedicated to creating a culture of compassion and understanding.
Treat Substance Abuse and Addiction Today at Evoke Wellness
If you or someone you love is struggling with substance abuse and trauma, seeking professional help from a center like Evoke Wellness is the first step toward recovery. With their comprehensive care and evidence-based treatments, patients can begin to heal and build a foundation for lasting sobriety.
Evoke Wellness recognizes that substance abuse and trauma are complex issues requiring a comprehensive treatment approach. By addressing both issues simultaneously, the center provides patients with the tools and support they need to overcome their addiction and begin to heal from the effects of trauma. Call us at 866.931.6429 to learn more.