Opiate abuse is a growing problem in our society, with a shocking number of individuals suffering from addiction. The pain and devastation caused by this epidemic are far-reaching, affecting not just the lives of the addicts but also their families and communities. Are we doing enough to recognize and address this issue?
Our opiate detox center at Evoke Wellness at Cohasset offers a team of medical professionals and addiction specialists to provide personalized treatment plans to help patients overcome physical dependence on opiates and manage the psychological effects of addiction. With a focus on individualized care and evidence-based therapies, Evoke Wellness at Cohasset offers a safe and supportive environment for patients to begin their recovery journey. Contact us at 866.931.6429 to learn more.
Opiate vs. Opioid
It is essential to understand the distinction between opiates and opioids to comprehend the scope of the problem. Opiates are natural substances derived from the opium poppy plant, such as morphine, codeine, and heroin. Opioids, on the other hand, are all-natural, synthetic, or semi-synthetic substances that mimic the effects of opiates. This includes prescription painkillers like oxycodone, hydrocodone, and fentanyl, as well as illegal drugs like heroin.
Both opiates and opioids work by binding to opioid receptors in the brain, producing pain relief and feelings of euphoria. However, their use can also lead to tolerance, dependence, and addiction. While opioids are often prescribed for legitimate medical reasons, they carry a significant risk of abuse and addiction.
Recognizing Opiate Abuse
Opiate abuse can take many forms, from using prescription painkillers in ways not intended by a healthcare professional to using illegal drugs like heroin. Recognizing the signs of abuse is the first step in helping someone get the help they need. Symptoms of opiate abuse may include:
- Physical signs – Drowsiness, constricted pupils, slurred speech, slowed breathing, and constipation are common physical indicators of opiate abuse. Over time, individuals may also experience weight loss, poor hygiene, and a decline in overall health.
- Behavioral changes – Someone abusing opiates may become more secretive, isolated, and disinterested in activities they once enjoyed. They may also exhibit mood swings, irritability, and poor decision-making.
- Financial and legal issues – Opiate abuse can be expensive, leading to financial problems and even criminal behavior to obtain drugs. This may result in arrests, legal troubles, or job loss.
- Drug-seeking behavior – Individuals who are abusing opiates may go to great lengths to obtain more drugs, such as visiting multiple doctors for prescriptions, stealing medication from friends or family, or turning to illegal sources.
If you suspect someone you care about is struggling with opiate abuse, it is crucial to approach the situation with compassion and understanding. Encourage them to seek help and support them throughout their recovery journey.
Prescription Drug Abuse Treatment at Evoke Wellness at Cohasset
At Evoke Wellness at Cohasset, we understand that addiction is a complex issue that requires personalized care and support. Our team of dedicated professionals is committed to helping individuals overcome prescription drug abuse and reclaim their lives. Our treatment programs include:
- Medically supervised detox – Detoxification is the first step in the recovery process, allowing individuals to withdraw from opiates under the care of medical professionals safely. Our team closely monitors each patient’s physical and emotional well-being, ensuring a comfortable and successful detox experience.
- Inpatient treatment – Our inpatient program provides a structured environment where individuals can focus on their recovery. Clients receive a combination of evidence-based therapies, including individual and group counseling, cognitive-behavioral therapy, and relapse prevention education.
- Aftercare planning – Recovery is a lifelong process, and maintaining sobriety after treatment is essential for lasting success. Evoke Wellness at Cohasset provides comprehensive aftercare planning to help clients transition back into their daily lives while maintaining their newfound sobriety.
Opiate abuse is a pervasive issue that continues to impact countless lives, and it’s up to each of us to recognize the signs and take action. If you or someone you know is struggling with addiction, don’t hesitate to ask for help at 866.931.6429.