Rehab for drug and alcohol addiction is an essential service, even during the COVID-19 pandemic. For many people, the risks of alcohol poisoning or a drug overdose are more dangerous and urgent than the risk of coronavirus. Because lives are on the line, treatment cannot stop. Similar to medical professionals in America’s clinics and hospitals, the licensed treatment professionals who work in rehab centers are dedicated to helping the community during these uncertain times. Across the country, rehab centers remain ready and available to provide high-quality treatment to anyone seeking to overcome a substance use disorder.
Procedures For Drug Rehab Patients During Pandemic
Amidst the global health crisis, the majority of facilities are strictly following the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and World Health Organization’s recommendations. They are taking many proactive actions to protect their current and future patients and staff members during this global health pandemic.
- Overall Patient and Staff Safety: Each facility has been tasked with establishing a committee that has the purpose of ensuring hygiene and safety measures are consistently in place and being followed at each facility, ensuring a coordinated company response to any concerns, and establishing protective protocols in the event that the health of our patients or employees may have been compromised as a result of COVID-19. The committee works directly and daily with each facility to implement and enforce the most up-to-date procedures as the coronavirus information evolves.
- Admissions: Facilities screens all patients prior to admission to determine personal travel history, potential exposure, potential contact with someone who has traveled to areas of concern, any direct contact by the patients with persons diagnosed with COVID-19, and any symptoms of illness. Those who screen positive will not be admitted to treatment. Those who screen negative will be eligible for admission.
- Staff Monitoring: Treatment facilities are committed to ensuring staff at the facilities are not infected with the COVID-19 virus. Staff who have traveled to areas of concern, have been in contact with someone in these areas, have been in direct contact with someone diagnosed with COVID-19, or show any signs of illness are asked to follow the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidelines, which dictates 14 days of isolation with no symptoms from the time of contact.
- Facility Hygiene: Each facility maintains an already stringent cleaning and disinfecting process throughout the day along with regularly scheduled deep cleanings and encouraging staff and patients to practice strict hand hygiene and avoid skin-to-skin contact. They also closely monitor the health of the patients.
- Specialized Treatment: Therapists have been trained on the effects of anxiety related to COVID-19 and are running groups at facilities to address concerns.
What Happens If I Get Covid While in Treatment for Addiction?
While treatment centers are doing all they can to be safe against the spread of Covid, It’s very hard to 100% prevent a case from happening in the treatment facility. In case this does happen, there are many common steps that need to be taken:
- Quarantine – if this is an inpatient facility, the patient should move rooms till they test negative and show no symptoms. If outpatient, the patient should not come back to treatment/group till they test negative and are showing no symptoms.
- Disinfect Area – the areas/rooms that the infected patient was in need to be disinfected.
- Test Others – All those that came in contact with the positive patient need to be closely monitored and tested.
- Treatment – The infected patient should be monitored closely for symptoms and treatment with approved therapeutic medicines till the sickness subsides and they test negative.
Start Sober Living At Evoke Wellness MA
Our facilities are staffed by experienced and compassionate professionals, including licensed therapists and psychiatrists, addiction specialists, and highly qualified support staff. Our team members are extremely understanding and treat each individual client with an unmatched level of respect. Evoke Wellness MA is fully accredited by the Joint Commission, which shows our dedication to offering the highest quality of addiction care for each person that steps through our doors.